Monday, June 11, 2012

Baked Cabbage

Raw cabbage and I are not the best of friends. I will eat cole slaw if it comes with a meal, because I was taught to clean my plate......but cooked cabbage, now that is a cabbage of another kind. The preparation is simple, a few good ingredients, a covered roasting pan and an oven.

Baked Savoy Cabbage
adapted from: The  Ponzi Vineyards Cookbook
375 degree oven

1 cabbage (today I am using standard green cabbage)
olive oil
salt and pepper

Cut the cabbage in wedges, layer in a large baking dish.



Season with salt and pepper (use a heavy hand, you won't be sorry), drizzle with olive oil. Cover and bake 1 hour. For standard green cabbage you will need to bake 1 1/2-2 hours for that soft creamy texture.

Serve.
Although not traditional, try dusting with smoked paprika before serving. A sprinkling of Parmesan cheese is also delicious, run under the broiler for a few minutes to sear to a golden brown.


Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again) 

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello. I appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!


this post is shared with:
cookbook sunday@couscous and consciousness
see ya in the gumbo@ms enPlace
hearth and soul@premeditated leftovers

8 comments:

Laraine Eddington said...

Mmmm, roasted usually brings out the best in vegetables.

Terry said...

Will have to try, sounds simple and yummy!

Sage Trifle said...

Cabbage is one of, if not THE favorite vegetable of my husband's. I serve it often. I love oven roasting all kinds of vegetables, but for some reason, I have never done it with cabbage. I must remedy that! Thanks for sharing.

MM said...

Thank you for linking with See Ya In the Gumbo--it's great to have you!

I love slow-cooked cabbage, but have never baked it like this. Love the idea of sprinkling Parm on top.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Yum!! I have only ever had cabbage either raw or quickly sauteed with some bacon & walnuts. Actually, there was also my mother's variation of "put it in a pot with some water and boil the bejeezus out of it" which basically rendered the cabbage inedible. Anyway, I have never tried it baked like this, but I'm eager to try.

That sounds like a great book - thanks for sharing at Cookbook Sundays.

xo

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I have roasted/baked cabbage before and it gave it the most wonderful flavour. Yours looks absolutely scrumptious. What a great side dish!

Alea Milham said...

I love cooked cabbage. I usually saute it, but your roast cabbage looks amazing!

Alison @ Under the Big Oak Tree said...

I've been on a cabbage kick lately, this will be the next thing I make with cabbage!

Thanks for sharing!